With the onset of cold weather, if it warms up to where I can do it, I have an outside project to work on. The wiring in the shop is less than stellar. I turn the saw on, the lights nearly go out, that is if I have both electric heaters going. The air compressor pops the safety switch on the power strip I usually run it off of, and other things that occur when you don't have enough outlets handy, or enough power available to begin with . Turns out, in my closet there is a working 220 outlet, hmmmmmm, don't need 220 except for the saw, and it is wired for 110 at the moment, but, I can take each hot and run a couple of higher amp circuits for the saw and the compressor. They pull more on start up than anything else I own, in the shop or not.
And I already know, make sure the circuit breakers are turned off, triple check them, and then check that the circuit isn't live. I've worked with electricity before, and I do have a healthy respect for what even a minor shock can do to you.
Any way, there is a fuse box out there that needs to be replaced, and I may add a second one to handle the 220 i'm going to run out there. One problem with older homes like this, the wiring can be such fun to try to figure out, NOT. Have to crawl under the house, put in a junction box to run the circuit, then run 10 gauge wire to the shop and put that in a box, then the circuits. But over all it will likely save me some pain. I have heavy duty extension cords running all over the place and I’m constantly getting tangled up in them or tripping over them. That is not the way to have a wood shop, 'specialy one as cramped and cluttered as mine is. Not to mention reducing the risk over loaded circuits and the joys they can bring. Ya might stay warm for a little bit, but afterward, a smoking pile of debris doesn't do much for me.
So for everyone, have a safe and happy holiday season, and be safe with those lights and decorations.
Copy & paste to friend: (Click inside box; Ctrl + C to copy; Ctrl + V to paste)
read more blogs!