Definitions of gossip on the Web:
* chitchat: light informal conversation for social occasions
* dish the dirt: wag one's tongue; speak about others and reveal secrets or intimacies; "She won't dish the dirt"
* a report (often malicious) about the behavior of other people; "the divorce caused much gossip"
* chew the fat: talk socially without exchanging too much information; "the men were sitting in the cafe and shooting the breeze"
* a person given to gossiping and divulging personal information about others
Let me see.....light informal chitchat...yeah, I've done that. Who doesn't?
"dish the dirt"...as in revealing secrets or talking about something told to me in confidence? Nope, I don't do that.
"a report (often malicious)" Nope, don't do that either.
"chew the fat"...I see as the same as "light informal chitchat"..so, yeah, do that.
Guess it all comes down to how it's defined by the individual. If someone tells me something in confidence....and doesn't want others knowing...I don't tell others. Something like that...it's up to the individual on who they want to tell...not up to me.
I'm a male- males don't gossip!!
Somnium that was funny.
I've never been into the "guess who so and so is dating, or what this person said about that person" type of thing. Just always seemed wrong to me.